Thursday, December 10, 2009

Homeschooling

  • Do you know what your child did all day today?
  • Do you know what your child learnt today?
  • How well do you know and trust all the adults that are in charge of your child 5 days a week?
  • How many life skills did your children learn today?
  • How interested in what they did were your kids?
  • How intact is your child's self esteem after a day of constant comparisons to other children and bullying?
  • If your kids had a choice would they learn maths every morning or only when they needed it?
  • Have your kids finished their homework?
 From unlearnt at last.
 We are currently planning to homeschool. Honestly we are quite happy with the school our eldest kids attend, not 100% happy but I am content with their attitude towards school, they love attending. We have discussed it as a family and homeschooling is something we think would work as our lifestyle could make learning more rewarding for us as a family. 
I do not like how schools are forced to operate a certain way which is not neccessarily the best way to treat individuals especially children who are growing and learning day to day.
I like the idea of unschooling.  
Personally, going to school did not help me socially, I was an "abnormally shy baby" according to the doctor. I have always been shy and being forced to do things I did not want to do, and not feeling I could speak up for myself, did not help me at all. I have had to deschool myself to the point where I know I do have worth and I do not have to be something or someone else.
I want my children to be confident, independant, happy. Going to school has not helped me to become rich or get into a viable career. I think that has more to do with somebody's drive and something within themselves. If you really want to learn, you will. If you really want to do something, you will. 
I know my children's talents, as they do. I don't think school helps them to develop those skills. They seem to learn much more at home, academically and in other ways such as life skills.
Do you know what your child learnt today? Only if they tell me. Though I consider we learn at home and when we go out. Contrary to popular belief, learning does not just happen at school. Do you know what your child did all day today? This is something that stood out to me when my first child started kinder, I now had no clue what my child was up to. She didn't really talk about it. How well do you know and trust all the adults that are in charge of your child 5 days a week? Not much at all. That is a scary thought. I don't really trust anyone but for some reason I expect that they will okay at school. Though honestly I do worry they could be hurt or treated unfairly. Anywhere by anybody.How many life skills did your children learn today? Hopefully some whether at school or at home.  How interested in what they did were your kids? This is something I will ask them. I am sure not everything will be interesting. Actually my son is more likely to share what he learns and he is like a sponge, takes it all in so easily. How intact is your child's self esteem after a day of constant comparisons to other children and bullying? I know from certain tidbits of information I get from the kids that bullying occurs, that the social interraction that occurs is not always positive. It seems like something you can't escape. my children seem to take it in their stride. I don't remember even discussing those things with my Mum, I don't think I was that sensitive but it did affect me. If your kids had a choice would they learn maths every morning or only when they needed it? For my 6yo, every morning, noon and night. He loves maths. My daughter may skip it most mornings. Have your kids finished their homework?`I don't like the idea of homework. This is something that the kids are responsible for and they do it themselves and occassionally ask me for  help. its just something I don't think is neccessary. If the kids chose not to do it I would support that.


No comments: