Sunday, July 12, 2009

Jewish Holocaust Muesum


My Mum had free family ticket to see 3D Ice Age 3 Dawn of the Dinosaurs at the Jam Factory. She took the big kids and we took the opportunity to visit the Holocaust Muesum like we have wanted to for a few years now.
It was the first time I had met Holocaust survivors which it made it very real.



We were interested to find that the Australian Aboriginal people protested the actions of the Nazis before the fact. There were many who didn't speak up til it was far too late. Unfortunately the Aboriginal people were basically ignored in Australian papers.

"In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;

And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;

And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;

And then... they came for me... And by that time there was no one left to speak up." Original and translation here

There were a few 'heroes' who did help (or hinder the Nazi cause). The righteous amongst the nations.


Why did one volunteer choose to come to Australia? Because it was as far as he could get away from the atrocities without freezing in Antartica.



I have read and heard much about the Holocaust but not much about any resistance. I found this information very interesting, especially how many knowing certain death they still fought with dignity. There was also passive resistance ie. putting on performances in the ghettos and finding extra food.

No comments: